Friday, June 8, 2018

Generosity Multiplies

Thursday June 6, 2018 - the last day of "pre-travel" class Topic:  Team Dynamics

I entered my office around 0700 on this day with such a mix of emotions.  The mountains of donations were so amazing as I remembered thinking in May we were not going to be able to fill half of a 5 x 8 Uhaul trailer that had been rented for this trip! The initiative of students, their families, staff and faculty of Methodist College rallied and now surrounding me were so many wonderful things to help provide some necessities and some extra special items to many who are in a situation where these little things would prove a blessing.  The only problem that I seen before me, was how are there we now going to all fit into this size of a trailer?! If I could find one available this close to our departure, we do not have it in the budget for a larger one.   This is only what was in my office, not including the hallway. To see a video of the piles click here:  Donations overflowing


As our class met at 0830 and the concepts of effective team dynamics was the topic for the day.  While this was primarily in reference to pediatric emergency response, it has it's place in every aspect of being an effective team member including sorting and organizing donations.  






To my delight these students immediately went into action!  As a team, they developed a system of sorting and were all intently engaged in efforts and appeared to be having fun!  I could not have imagined that they would get through the majority of the bags by then end of our class period and planned to come in for additional 1/2 day to finish up-which was not necessary! 



These ladies demonstrated how rolling clothing items you could fit much more into the totes!  I was inspired to reorganize my own drawers at home after watching them! 

Mrs. Mutchler's daughter came to help as well!  She was able to tell us about several of the books and which one's the children in North Carolina would enjoy reading!




These ladies had a serious system of sorting and organizing!  I was so impressed at their teamwork! 


Candid camera shots are worth so many words.... This is going to be a fun and hard working group!

 At the end of the effective class day, we still had a problem. There was too much to fit into the 5 x 8 cargo trailer!
After making a few phone calls, Thursday afternoon with no change to the circumstance. I tried one more to the district manager of UHAUL who did some checking. 

Late Thursday afternoon we were approved an upgrade to a 6 x 12 cargo trailer, which will fit all of the donations- at no additional cost!  What a Blessing!



 Generosity continues to multiply!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Overflowing with Opportunities

I hope you have been taking time to read the links of each of the students on this course as they blogged daily about the learning experienc...